Heat this Macro Monday up with this Spicy Vegetable Rice recipe! IIFYM all day every day!
Macro Monday, 2/12/2018, Spicy Vegetable Rice
Makes 8 servings
• 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
• 1 medium onion, chopped finely
• 3 medium carrots, chopped into small pieces
• 4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
• 2 large bell peppers, cut into large chunks
• 1 cup cherry tomatoes
• 1 cup of peas
• 2 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1½ teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes , or chili flakes, or a small fresh or dried chili chopped
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (you can sub this for chipotle powder)
• 1 ¼ uncooked brown rice
• 2½ cups water , plus more if needed
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
2. Saute the onions until translucent.
3. Add the carrots, garlic and bell peppers and continue cooking for a few minutes.
4. Add the rice, peas, tomatoes, spices, seasoning and water.
5. Cook until the liquid starts to bubble, give it a real good stir, turn down low, cover with a lid and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, stirring occasionally. If it gets to the stage where the water is absorbed and the rice isn’t quite tender, you can boil a kettle and add another ¼ cup or so of water to finish it off.
6. Serve immediately.