IIFYM: Zucchini Lasagna
IIFYM, Macro Monday, 7/24/17, Zucchini Lasagna
(from Member Maddie L.)
Serving Size:⅕ baking dish
Yields: 5 servings
•3 medium zucchini
•2.5 cups tomato pasta sauce
•14 oz firm tofu (can substitute ground beef or turkey)
•1 tsp salt, plus extra for the zucchini
•1/2 tsp onion powder
•1/4 tsp garlic powder
•1/3 cup parmesan
•1C shredded mozzarella
1. Preheat oven to 450 F.
2. Slice the zucchini the long way so that you get six slices from each. Spread out on a large plate and sprinkle liberally with salt – most of this will be wiped off later. Let sit for an hour or so and a lot of the moisture will come out of the zucchini.
3. Meanwhile, mash the tofu with the onion and garlic, and set aside.
4. Wipe all moisture off the zucchini, place on a baking tray, and place on the center oven rack.
5. Let zucchini cook 15 minutes. Take out zucchini, turn the oven to 375 F, and layer 1/2 cup tomato sauce into the bottom of an 8-inch square pan.
6. Cover the sauce with a layer of zucchini, then spread 1 1/3 cup of the tofu mixture over the zucchini layer. Now add 1 cup sauce, then another zucchini layer, then 1 1/3 cup more tofu (or ricotta).
7. Cover with the final cup sauce, another zucchini layer, and finally cover everything with your cheese.
8. Bake on the center rack 40 minutes, then turn oven off—but don’t open the oven door—and let sit in the oven an additional 20 minutes.
9. It’s important to not skip either the salting or baking stages for the zucchini so your lasagna is not watery.