Another IIFYM Monday, guaranteed to your taste buds scream in joy!
IIFYM, Macro Monday, 6-19-17, Southwest Beef and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Serving Size: 1 pepper
Yields: 4 peppers
•¾ cup quinoa
•4 green onions
•2 cloves garlic
•1 lb . ground beef
•2 red bell peppers
•2 yellow bell peppers
•2 diced tomatoes
•*1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
•2 Tbsp . olive oil
•1 ½ tsp . chili powder
•1 ½ tsp . cumin
•½ tsp . paprika
•¼ tsp . cayenne
•Salt and pepper
*Cheese is optional. Add in 8g fat and 5g protein if used
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Boil water and a pinch of salt in a small pot. Once boiling, add quinoa. Cover and cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
2. Arrange the pepper halves on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until softened , 7-10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, green onions and garlic, cook for 4 minutes, until softened.
4. Add ground beef and break up as it browns, 3-4 minutes.
5. Stir in chili powder, cumin, paprika and cayenne and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Add in tomatoes and let simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Stir in cooked quinoa and season with salt and pepper.
7. Fill peppers with beef mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
8. Bake 10 minutes. Serve with lime wedges on the side.